Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Day 44: 6 Week Report Card

Day 44, which is about halfway toward the big milestone of 90 days. In theory, most of my healing will be done at 90 days, or 3 months. 6 months is when I should expect to see the results I'll see for the rest of my life, but 3 months is when I'll hopefully be all healed up.

Today I had a check up to determine the status of my plate situation and decide what's to be done about that. It's still exposed, so on the 21st of October, my palatial plate comes out. Quoth Dr. Voorhees, "We're not relying on the plates anymore to hold the structure." So, out it comes. The right one will stay in because it's not hurting anything, so we'll just leave well enough alone. I asked if I could keep the plate afterward, and he said sure. So that's cool. A little gross, and I'll probably end up throwing it out eventually, but I just want to see it, you know?

AND the best news of all... I am starting to recover feeling in my left chin & lower lip! I woke up this morning and when when I touch that area (it's the last numb spot left) I get all sorts of spider web tinglies. I haven't talked about it too much because I was really trying not to think about it, but it's not going to be numb forever! Yay!

On another note, I think it's time to stop making excuses about food. It turns out that it's really easy to eat a whole lot of crap when you're on a mushy diet. Especially sugary foods. There was a three week period where I had a slushie from Sonic every day. Other foods that are mushy: brownies, marshmallows, cereal (once it's wet - the best kind is the sugary stuff like honey nut Chex), tater tots... getting the picture? And between that and the altered blood flow, face washing routine plus always wearing my glasses equals some gross skin. So, I'm going to start trying to eat better, because 45 days out from the surgery my excuses are dwindling...

non-sequitur-p.s. honey is just as bad for you as sugar, same with high fructose corn syrup. The only difference is that high fructose corn syrup is so cheap it makes it ubiquitous, and that's what's bad for you, no matter what Vicks or any other organic whatever may try to convince you.

No comments:

Post a Comment