Sunday, August 28, 2011

Day 5: Zombied Out

Hello everyone! I got online with the best of intentions this morning - many people have sent notes, emails, etc with well wishes, and I wanted to respond to everyone. But then I had to deal with a banking problem, and I'm kind of wiped, so I'm just going to type it here and respond individually later. Also I'm not sure why the blog won't let you guys post comments, I'll try to look at it soon, but for now, you can always email at bethlauren22[at]gmail[dot]com ; also, my phone has been dead for like, 3 days now, I accidentally left the charger at work (I hope), so I'll try to get that soon. I wouldn't be able to talk on the phone anyway, it sounds like I have a mouth full of marshmallows right now, so I haven't made it a priority. But Jared goes back to work tomorrow, so I guess I'll have to, in case I need something.

The surgery actually made me a lot weaker/tired than I anticipated. Yesterday, I took 2 walks around the apartment (in the ac, not outside), and then took a 10 minute shower (because I was beyond gross), and got so tired, I fell into my chair and passed out. I'm told it's a combination of the drugs I'm taking, the limited calorie diet, and the almost entirely sedentary existence I've been leading over the past 5 days. So I guess that will come back in time.

My mom came down on Friday to help Jared out, he had been on 24-hour nursing duty before that and needed a good break. It was lucky that she got here in time to go to my appointment, because it was a disaster. I don't know about anyone else, but when I feel badly, the absolute last thing I want to do is leave the house. But, doctor's orders, so we went and did that. I'm sure I would have been more embarrassed if it hadn't been so uncomfortable for me.

I've been trying to eat as much as possible, but that, too, is slow going. The not being able to eat dairy thing severely limits my dietary options for syringe-able foods, but I'm sure we'll get through it eating something. It's hard because I try to eat before every pain pill (usually every 2 hours), so I get sick of certain foods pretty quickly. But, I figure that lessens the chances of the pills making me sick while at the same time, forcing me to eat food even if I don't really feel like it.

Also, I have not looked at myself in a mirror yet. I was worried it might send me into some spiral freak-out mode, and there's nothing I really need to see anyway. But I know Jared's been posting pictures - I hope they've made you feel better about your face, because I can almost guarantee that it is as uncomfortable if not more so than it looks. I've been relying on Jared and my mom to tell me in which direction the swelling is going. Last night my mom said I looked almost normal, if I had a little bit chubbier cheeks and Goldie Hawn's lips in the First Wives' Club. So that was heartening.

A little less heartening was the bill I got in my email today... my first minimum payment. But, what's more important than your health, right? This is what I keep telling myself.

Phew. Time for a nap.
Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment