Saturday, August 27, 2011

Day 4: Over the Hump

[posted by my loving husband, nurse, dietitian, chef, pharmacist, and cheerleader, Jared]

Well, I think she's finally through the worst of it.  The swelling has gone down considerably and she seems to be in not quite as agonizing of pain.  Beth's mom arrived Friday afternoon and, having not gotten more than three consecutive hours of sleep over the past 4 days, I was thrilled to be able to take a break.  I don't think I would have been able to do it without her help because I was really at the point exhaustion after 24 hours a day nursing for 4 days.  So thanks to LeeAnn I got a solid nine hours of sleep staying at a friends last night!

Dr. Vorhees assured us that everything looked good during our visit on Friday so everything has gone according to plan so far and hopefully in a few weeks Beth will be feeling better than ever.  She has already noticed that she can breath better with her jaw not cinching down on the back of her throat.


I made some chicken and rice with green beans tonight and threw it all in the blender with some chicken broth to make a surprisingly tasty soup.  She's put down quite a bit of smoothie and baby food as well so I've been surprised and encouraged by how much she's been able to eat.  That should really jump-start her recovery process.  Friday really felt like hump day after her nausea reached fever pitch on the way to the Doctor's office and then with her considerable lessening of pain and swelling going into Saturday.  Everyday since Wednesday she's asked me if she was through the worst of it and I've summarily lied until today when I said 'yes' and realized that was actually the truth.  

No comments:

Post a Comment