Thursday, August 25, 2011

Day 2: Released from the Hospital (Jared's entry at night)

Hey this is Jared.  While reluctantly leaving the hospital at about midnight last night with itchy, red hives covering half my body I briefly thought about how I'd ignored some milder flare-ups earlier in the day, beginning around when I arrived in Beth's room, and wondered if that was going to cost me with this seeming like more than just an allergic reaction.  Fortunately, I suppose, Beth's condition was what butted its way into my mental space most often.  Upon coming home and crawling into bed I was still mainly just feeling guilty about leaving Beth all alone at the Hospital.  The young girl nurse on duty at the time was dismissive and had seemed bothered earlier when I'd asked her about making the IV machine stop beeping.  At one point, having not been able to reach her by phone, I stepped out into the hall to find her leisurely chit-chatting with another young nurse.  So despite my grotesque condition I had not really been thinking about leaving until Beth assured me that she would be fine and that I should go home and rest.  Waking to her phone call at 5 that morning, I was relieved to find almost all the hives gone but certainly not looking forward to going back in that room.  Sure enough they came back in full force within a couple hours confirming Beth's hypothesis of an allergic reaction to the room.  I took some Benadryl and they all went away within an hour.  Crazy!


Beth and I took a walk through the Hospital gardens and she looked very stable but a little drowsy.  She was eating and drinking a fair amount and feeling good with the oral meds so Dr. Vorhees gave us the OK to go home.  However, Beth's initial excitement waned when we entered the parking lot and started to open the car doors.  She almost wanted to go check back in as she was rocked by a wave of nausea.  She was kind of depressed when we got home but took some meds and has been asleep for awhile so hopefully she can sleep through the night.  Swelling will peak tomorrow so we'll see exactly what we're dealing with but I think she's going to be much smaller than most of the pictures we looked at before the surgery.  All signs point to a great outcome it's just a miserable situation right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment