Thursday, August 4, 2011

Models

Today I went to Dr. Voorhees's office to have my models made, get some measurements taken, and ask some questions.  Getting models taken always sucks... not so much to say about that...

Except I guess I should tell you exactly why I had models taken... it's kind of cool actually. They make these models of my mouth, and Dr. Voorhees does the whole surgery on those. And from that he makes a surgical splint. Then during the real surgery, he uses the splint to make sure everything gets set perfectly. So that's cool. It's like he's doing it with a stencil instead of freehand. Which is good, when somebody is doing surgery on your face.

And I got to ask some questions that I had been wondering about. Got some answers on the pain meds, which was really what I was most worried about (yes, I know I'm weird, of all the things about this surgery that could worry me, my pain meds worried me most). I have had some really bad experiences with pain medication in the past, and I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be prescribed codine, hydrocodone, vicodin, basically any pain medication that you would normally think.

Also found out some more specifics about the banding, which was something else about which I was really worried about, but it turns out I will definitely be banded shut, and the bands are pretty flexible, so that's good. And most of the swelling will be gone by a week, which is the worst part (besides the altered diet).

So, the only uncertain factor is the insurance stuff, and that's just not going to be able to be resolved until after the fact, unfortunately.

That's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment