Thursday, September 22, 2011

1 month marker: Fun, fun, fun!

Today/tomorrow will be my 1-monthiversary from the surgery. I had a follow up appointment today with Dr. Voorhees. And to start off what would prove to be a pretty bad day, I showed up for my appointment at 8am, only to find out that my appointment was for 4:30. Whoops. All the appointments have made me a little lazy with actually checking my planner. But he was able to see me in the morning anyway. Everything looking good. A little adjustment of the bands, and the go-ahead to start back with the orthodontics. So that's exciting.

Then I had a bad day, and then around 2, I noticed hey, there's a cut in the crease of my left gum/cheek area, and it's dark red, and the area around it is a little inflammed, and the part of my jaw feels a little stiff in the same area. Crap.

So, I called Dr. Voorhees's office and asked if I could come in this afternoon to have him check on it, and in the meantime, worked myself into kind of a nice stress-frenzy about it. Well, thankfully I only had about an hour to do that, then I headed out for my appointment.

As it turns out, the incision was Dr. Voorhees's, so that's good, no new wounds, but the bad is that the titanium plate they put in my jaw is visible through the incision, and is the reason it's not closing up. The doctor has to "stretch" the tissues over the plate, and they don't always close up like they should. He re-prescribed the peridex rinse, to keep it from getting infected while it's still open. It should close. My question - "What if it doesn't?" Well, he would have to go in and remove the plate (as soon as the bone healed, of course) so the incision could close up. My face: ! How bad would that be? It's an out-patient procedure that they do in his office, nothing near as bad as the surgery.

*sigh* I'm just ready for it all to be over.

But, I did take another X-Ray at the appointment, and the nice medical assistant printed me out a copy. Here it is, compared to my one from January of this year. I can't see much of a difference from the front, except it does seem to be rotated up a little. I need to get copies of the profile x-rays...


No comments:

Post a Comment