Friday, September 9, 2011

Day 17: The upper jaw comes alive

So, I'm starting to get more feeling back in my face. Initially, basically my whole face from my lower jaw up to my eyeballs was numb. The feeling came back first in my lower jaw, like what we would traditionally call a jaw line, and is slowly creeping back up my face. But from about nose level up my cheeks are still numb. But the feeling is starting to come back in my upper jaw, which was the much more traumatized jaw, and man oh man was it hurting this afternoon. But, I guess that's good. I'd rather have a week of pain over total numbness.

Today was the first day in a long time that I felt like putting in my contacts (although, they're a lot more comfortable when your eyes are half numb, so it was easier), and I even half-dried my hair! It's amazing how little you care about how you look when you're in so much pain and discomfort. The less pain you're in, the more conceited you feel like being. I guess that's why people get fat in relationships... oh wait, that's backwards. Well, it does apply to surgery, so...

I went back through some of the pictures Jared took in the hospital, and they are gross. 4 realz. I hesitate to even post some of them here, just because they're so gross. But I will, anyway, mostly because I don't have anything really left to say. So, enjoy!



 The awesome care package my bosses gave me. My coworkers gave me some really cool stuff too (including candy cigarettes to help with my stress!), but that photo is on my other camera & I'm too lazy to upload it...












Me the morning of the surgery - don't I look excited??
















Me just before my surgery in the hospital room. I'm holding up a picture of Nately. He was my focus point to help with my anxiety about the surgery. I even took a stuffed bear into the surgery  because he was about the same size and shape as Nate. I know, I'm a weird cat-lady.


PG-13! Check out the racy hospital gown... Me at 9:30pm the day of my surgery, after I was done puking blood. But I still had my awesome  blood mustache.

My IV with my cool arm bands. The morning nurse was not amused after he put on my Ceclor allergy bracelet when I jokingly asked him what they did with the people who are allergic to everything. His response? "They have a lot of bracelets.

I honestly don't even remember this. Apparently, according to Jared, this is me blogging, but then it "hurt my head" so I had him take over.

Jared diligently blogging away. I think I wrote the entry down on paper and then he typed it up. I guess the bear was his assistant.

I filled up an entire notebook "talking" in just two days. Here are some of the gems: "Do I need to eat something or is it coming from my IV?" or "I'm making it look easy - I'm a model patient" and (responding to Jared during our discussion about Mercury in Retrograde v. Murphy's Law) "I believe ancient astrologers more than Murphy, who was a military man, not a scientist, so suck it."

Me with one of my first hospital meals - Cream of Wheat and grape juice... mmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment