Friday, September 2, 2011

Day 10: Starting to get bored...

Day 10 after the surgery... I had a bunch of work today, so I started out doing that. The only meds I'm having to take now are my amoxicillin (3x a day), a peridex rinse (2x a day), and ibuprofen when I talk or eat too much.  I still have to wear the three rubber bands when I'm not eating or whatever, and I think any further reduction in swelling will be slow-coming.

At first, I was really liking working at home. I don't have to drive anywhere, I can wake up at 8:30 and roll right into work, I can watch TV while I'm doing stuff, eat whatever I want for lunch... but I think the biggest thing about working at home that sucks is there is no break in the day. It's just long and monotonous and boring. And then, when I'm finished with my work, or the time is done for me to work, it just sort of... rolls right into my home life. And Jared works on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday nights, so it's just me and Nately, hanging out. When I work at the office, that's a good thing -- it's time to unwind and relax and veg. Now, it drives me up the wall. I didn't notice when the pain meds were helping me to sleep 16 hours a day, but it's starting to wear on me. But Nately tries to keep me from working whenever he can (see the picture of this morning - I did not place him there, he was determined to keep me from the computer)

I still have my splint in - it's kind of like a bite guard that goes all the way around all my top teeth, it's wired in with my braces, and has slits where my bottom teeth go, to help my jaw muscles learn their new correct position. It's not so bad, but it makes me talk like, well, like I have a giant piece of plastic in my mouth. So I was hoping to work from home until I had that removed, because I know once I get back in the office people are going to be wanting to talk to me, and honestly, it's exhausting to talk with the splint in (I can't take it out), but we'll see if I actually make it. Maybe I'll just start doing half days in the office or something, I don't know.

Anyway, in other (good) news, the feeling is starting to come back into the inside of my mouth, my lips and cheeks and stuff. The only bad thing is all the hardware in my mouth right now is how I realized this was happening, cause it sometimes gets cut on the braces or the bands or the extra wiring. 

I'm just feeling crummy today I guess. It's like, when you first get out of the hospital, you feel so awful and you're so exhausted, that you get to have all these little things get to be victories - "Yay! I walked to the bathroom by myself!" "Yay! I slept for a consecutive 6 hours!" "Yay! I'm on pain pills!" But then as you start to get back to your normal life... everything sort of turns back into what it was before, except you have some extra annoyances to deal with. I guess it's sort of like going from elementary school to junior high. You know you're progressing normally, but it was so much more fun when you didn't really have to be independent, and the work wasn't especially challenging, and you got to go to recess every day...

No comments:

Post a Comment