Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Day 36: Look Ma, No Hooks!

This morning I went to the orthodontist. Another office where we might pay more than others but all the staff is so nice and genuinely concerned with my well-being. Anyway, Dr. Voorhees (oral surgeon) had given Dr. Ramsay (orthodontist) the go-ahead to start the orthodontics, but because of this stupid opening on the left side of my mouth (where my incision has opened to reveal my swanky new titanium jaw), he doesn't want to "push it". He said if he starts moving things around, it may affect the way I hold my jaw, etc., which could compromise the healing of that incision. I appreciate the style, and know it's the best thing to do, but I was hoping to get started sooner rather than later, because I'd really really really really really love to have my braces off by my 25th birthday (April 3). Even though I know that's probably not realistic.

But it's not his fault the stupid plate isn't cooperating. Or rather, the tissue around the plate. So, no new wire or bands today.

The exciting thing that did happen, however, was the removal of my surgery hooks! Now, you may say to yourself, braces are pretty bad, and it sucks to have all that metal all up in your mouth business. I agree, but you know what's worse than that? Wired hooks on top of the braces. They serve a function in surgery, for placing and holding, and then right after, for the bands, but it feels soooo good to have them off. Almost as good as when Dr. Voorhees took out the splint.

I really have had a very blessed recovery, though, current predicament aside. I was reading some other peoples' blogs, and some people had to keep their splints in for months instead of weeks. Or do the surgery more than once, or deal with all sorts of myriad problems that are too gross to recant. Makes it a lot easier to justify going with the expensive surgeon and orthodontist. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment